I strive to be a good help meet to Steve and good mother to my 18 children. We have been blessed with children both by birth and adoption. Our adopted children have all come with some challenges and as such our life is not easy but God never promised it would be. We hope to be sanctified daily. We are passionate about education that gives people of all ages a love of learning. We are also passionate about good food, food the way God intended it to be eaten and as such are working at establishing our sustainable farm to provide for ourselves and our community.

Shelfari

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Monday, March 8, 2010

Spiritual Disciplines, Classical Education

So far I have read through the first Spiritual Discipline detailed by Donald Whitney in his book and have started the second.  The first spiritual discipline is Intake of God's word through Bible reading, sermons, Bible memorization and meditation.  I readily admit that I am not disciplined in this area.  I love to listen to sermons but its easy to become very distracted at home while listening and at church while juggling little ones.  I am praying that God will help me in this area as I do want to please Him.

The second discipline in Mr. Whitney's book is Prayer.  I do talk to God all day long as He brings things to mind to pray about but I don't have a formal time of prayer - I am looking forward to reading the suggestions in the book on how to do better at this discipline as well.

I am also enjoying Douglas Wilson's "The Case for Classical Education."  While I don't agree with all the methodology of the Classical School model (preferring the TJED model in application), his case for teaching children in a Christ based, Classical method is right on.  Seeking God and His glorification must be the purpose of all education-without it, there really is no point, as glorifying God is the chief end of man.  On this book's heels I have ordered, "Teaching the Trivium" by the Bluedorns which was recommended by a family at church.

Finally, a week of rest is in order here, Steve is involved in work stuff so not around much, some kids are sick, prayer and fasting regarding housing situations for me and working on compiling classical book lists, as well as sewing projects...till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment