I strive to be a good help meet to Steve and good mother to my 18 children. We have been blessed with children both by birth and adoption. Our adopted children have all come with some challenges and as such our life is not easy but God never promised it would be. We hope to be sanctified daily. We are passionate about education that gives people of all ages a love of learning. We are also passionate about good food, food the way God intended it to be eaten and as such are working at establishing our sustainable farm to provide for ourselves and our community.

Shelfari

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tilling and plowing

I have read quite a lot over the last few years about how plowing and tilling are so bad for the soil, how we lose so much top soil that way, how "nature" doesn't plow or till but grows seeds through the "duff" which falls naturally on the ground and accumulates.  I have believed all of this until yesterday when in my Bible reading I came across references to plowing.  I did a Strong's concordance search for plowing and tilling and there are many references for both in the Bible.  So, it appears plowing and tilling are good ways to grow crops.  Perhaps the problems with our soils are both the massive use of pesticides and herbicides, the fact that we do not let our growing areas rest appropriately and the fact that we don't feed the soil.  I will do more research on this in the future.

On another note, Emma finished her phonics learning book yesterday.  She was very excited and we are both very proud of her - good job Emma!

2 comments:

  1. Oooohhhhh I just love it when we get answers from the Bible on whether something is right or not! God always knows best doesn't He?? Have a blessed day. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a good point about plowing, thank you!

    I wonder if our modern methods vs. the ways of tilling used in the Bible days are part of the cause as well. Also, the Bible did instruct us to give the land a rest every 7 years as well, I believe. Something to ponder :) . Thanks for the food for thought :) .

    Blessings,

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete