I strive to be a good help meet to Steve and good mother to my 18 children. We have been blessed with children both by birth and adoption. Our adopted children have all come with some challenges and as such our life is not easy but God never promised it would be. We hope to be sanctified daily. We are passionate about education that gives people of all ages a love of learning. We are also passionate about good food, food the way God intended it to be eaten and as such are working at establishing our sustainable farm to provide for ourselves and our community.

Shelfari

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Friday, April 9, 2010

Happy Birthday to Gina... and food

Happy Birthday to Gina who celebrated her 21st Birthday yesterday.  She had an enjoyable evening of herb bread soup bowls filled with baked potato soup, peppermint bars and ice cream.  After that she watched "Sherlock Holmes".

On another note, we have been reading lately in the blogosphere (and I have come across bible verses this week as well) that talk about all food God has created to be allowed if received with thanksgiving, nothing is restricted.  I used to have a prohibition against pork and shellfish because of things I had read in Jordan Rubin's books but I no longer feel that is the case based on these scriptures.  However, I do have a problem with conventionally raised pork and other meats because they are fed antibiotics and hormones which are not food.  Its the same reason I would say God isn't talking about most of what is on the grocery store shelves in this verse because if you pick up these items much of what is listed under ingredients is not food, its chemicals.  Further, same thing for produce sprayed with pesticides - pesticide is not a food.

So, God made allowable all foods, if received with thanksgiving.  We just need to make sure what we are calling "food" is actually food. 

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Gina!!!! Your dinner sounds delightful.


    I know the book you are talking about. I was gifted it and when it said I couldn't eat shrimp I put it on the bookshelf and haven't opened it since. LMSO


    Yes, we have been delivered from the law of eating specific "clean" foods. Thank you Lord. But I still try to eat "healthy". I don't think the preservative and additives are healthy!


    God's Blessings,

    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it turns into a small world some days-I hope you'll remember us - Luke and Heather Cropsey-from Florida days. :) I was browsing thru the blog party on Femina and your entry was the third or so blog-what a great surprise when I clicked on your link and recognized your picture! We've got a small blog that keeps our family/friends updated on our family and happenings...it's: www.muchinlittle.blogspot.com I enjoyed browsing your blog-great thoughts and insights, as well as encouragment for me! I'd love to be in touch again (as well as busy moms can be!).

    Heather :)

    ReplyDelete